Area – medicine.
Purpose. The Ukrainian Institute has developed bone implants from bioactive ceramics, which allow for the full restoration of bone tissue.
Application. Wide clinical application: the creation of competitive endoprostheses of joints, restoration of bone tissue, implantation into soft tissues, coatings on metal implants, use as a basis in bone tissue engineering, creation of carriers of drugs with prolonged action. Consumers Cancer Institute, Dental Centers, Trauma Departments.
Description. There is one significant drawback with traditional metal implants: over time, they poison the body, filling it with aluminum or titanium ions. Therefore, for example, a successfully made leg joint prosthesis will need to be redone after a few years, since the bones to which it is attached are destroyed. Bone implants made from bioactive ceramics allow complete restoration of bone tissue. For example, dentists often have nowhere to place a post for an artificial tooth – the jaw bone has dissolved. Bioactive ceramics will allow it to grow and create the basis for the implantation of the post. This material is also mechanically compatible with bone tissue – this allows the joints and spine to be restored. Stage of the project: permission was obtained for the use of the developed materials from bioactive ceramics in clinical practice; more than 50,000 dental, 500 orthopedic and about 400 ophthalmic operations have been performed; new titanium alloys have been developed, which are significantly more tolerant to the bone than traditional VT1-0 and VT6; technologies for creating high-quality bioactive coatings have been developed. The developer is looking for partners with the aim of: producing reliable domestic endoprostheses available for Ukrainian patients; spreading the use of the developed materials; growing bone tissue by combining a carrier with bioactive ceramics and living cells of a patient using new 3D projection technologies.
Advantages. Combination of ideal biocompatibility of calcium phosphate ceramics and mechanical properties of titanium alloys.
Benefits of bioceramic coating:
- imparting bioactivity to the surface of a metal implant;
- formation of a direct connection with the bone without a fibrous capsule
- corrosion protection of the metal base;
- strengthening of bone tissue around the implant.
Advantages of new titanium alloys for endoprostheses:
- high corrosion resistance of the developed titanium alloys of the Ti-Si-Nb system;
- high biological compatibility due to the elimination of toxic elements vanadium and aluminum, which are present in traditional alloys;
- improved biomechanical compatibility due to lower Young’s modulus at high strength.
Technical and economic effect:
- increasing the biological and mechanical compatibility of implants;
- reducing the cost and improving the quality of joint endoprosthesis;
- elimination of toxic effects on the human body;
- fast full restoration of lost bone tissue in large volumes;
- extending the life of implants;
- increasing the endurance of the Ti-Si-Nb alloy by 20-30% as compared to analogues;
- improving the quality of surgical operations to restore bone tissue, and the function of the damaged area.
Readiness. Laboratory tested.
Cooperation. Joint bringing to the industrial level. Joint production, sale, operation. Sale of licenses. Sale of patents.